Wednesday, January 18, 2012

No comment?

Uh-oh...I just became aware of disappointing possibility. I have my blogger account set up so that I am emailed when anyone comments. I was operating under the assumption that if I hit reply to that email, I would be replying to the person who left the comment. Yes, there are times when I have noticed that as the email launches itself into the great world of fibers and wireless fascination that the phrase "noreply-comment@blogger.com" shows up as a destination. I am going to admit my lack of tech-knowledge once again, and share that I thought that was just the email lords hiding a person's actual address from me (as in , we will deliver your mail, but not tell you where). It did not occur to me that the mail was not being sent to the intended recipient. To further support my theory, no emails were ever returned. I was left to assume that whoever had been swell enough to leave a comment on my blog was getting treated to a swell reply in return. I reply to every single comment anyone leaves me.

Enter the new piece of information...I was reading some blogs this morning and noticed a comment someone had left another blogger about her email address not being enabled, and how nobody could respond to her. How did she know this? Because the address "noreply-comment" pops up. Oh dear! Now I am concerned that I have been sending "thank you for stopping by" and "LMAO" type comments into a great unknown void. Perhaps I need to confirm this new piece of possibility? I realize that sending a message to anyone whose email comes up as that might not be the best strategy in case you know...it's true! So if you have a minute, and you have recently commented on any blog post of mine, and have not gotten any kind of response, can you comment here and let me know? (And then I will acknowledge your comment in a way that you will never receive, I guess.)

Perhaps I will resort to commenting back in my own comments, as that seems to work for a lot of people. I tried that back when I had fives of followers and the people hadn't come back to check, so basically I achieved the same no acknowledgement results. Soooooo, if my responses to your comments have not been reaching you...1) Thanks for stopping by and 2) Thanks for coming back even if I appeared rude by not opening the door!


11 comments:

  1. Yes, its true. I did know about this little issue but still sometimes when I am in hurry I send a reply back without checking. I have often wondered if there is some pimply teenager working at blogger who gets those emails (because they are obviously delivered somewhere because they don't bounce back) I have images of this young, techno-savy blogger employee laughing at us and our crazy responses. I wonder if they read them out loud at the Blogger Company Christmas Party??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reply back on my blog and have wanted to do the e-mail route but there is that little fact of figuring out how to do it!!!

    For the record, I do get your replies to my e-mail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! I email you more than I do most people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Andrea! Thanks for the hundreds of emails..... just kidding :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid that if you are replying to one of those no-rely comment emails, you are in fact sending your replies into a great unknown void. But I'm happy to report that I have been getting your responses because I have my blogger account set up with my email address. Which is what everyone should do. Especially if they are going to ask you a question!!! That drives me crazy when people ask a question and I can't respond! So really, it's everyone else's fault, not yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! O.o How long has this been going on??? Nope, no emails from you here. Just the same, glad I stopped by, and thanks for the response. I'm sure I would have loved it.

    Have a cheery and bright weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I use 'internet' as an excuse. So if stuff (like bill payments) don't get where they're supposed to...Anyway, I have tagged you. It is kind of a hassle, but fun. I specifically tagged folks who are cool. You don't have to participate, or you can and invite a hundred of your closest friends. Just make sure you have an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are talking about me! Wasn't that woman who left that comment a pedantic, patronizing know-it-all? Sorry, but true. I don't know if it's the same with Blogspot as it is on Typepad, but I always have the option to just respond in an email if the no-reply comment thing comes up. Almost nobody has the no-reply thing turned off. Anyway, I have now enabled the email thing, but so far her claims that "blogging will get even better and become even more fun!" are not true. Gag. But try responding to this and we'll see if it works now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andrea- new follower here, although I'm not showing up on several chill blogs I've come across in the last few days. Yeah, I used your word. I don't want to be lame. Or is there a new word for lame? Do tell.
    You make me laugh so I'm sticking around- I found you thru Kirby, who also makes me laugh. I like what you have to say and the fact that Kirby says you're cool is just icing. ;)
    Nice to meet you,
    ~Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the same boat with my comment system on Wordpress. I'm looking for a new kind, not sure what I want yet. Don't have the time to research it now. I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete