Saturday, December 17, 2016

Good enough for me

This is the cookie press that introduced me to the wonderful world of the spritz cookie.
I still remember how the top would mysteriously come unscrewed just as optimum flow of dough was achieved, thereby ruining the process. I liked how you could see the extruder's progress, before I was seasoned enough to go by feel. This was the very press I used as a teen, on a blustery snow day after I awakened to a note from my mother to make some Christmas cookies. Surely I had something planned for my day off, like spending hours on the telephone or in front of MTV. To express my displeasure for being asked to make cookies, I colored half the dough pink and the other half purple - very festive wreath shapes. If memory serves me correct, I might have added insult to injury by filling the container too high, thereby breaking several cookies when I pressed that Tupperware lid down to "burp" it. (Mom, I would like to think I have baked enough cookies by now to make up for this lapse in judgement.)

I also own this Mirro cookie press that was a garage sale find. I was simply overcome by nostalgia and had to own the item. I have yet to use it for camel or any other shaped cookies, but it still makes me happy to see both presses together as my smallest collections of anything.

This is the press I use now.  Neither end falls off, which takes away a bit of the challenge, but you can't see the amount of dough that has come out keeping things interesting.
Simply yummy! My favorite are the ones with a cinnamon red hot on them. 
No, there are not any of those in this batch because the only dots I have explode in the oven, which does not make me happy. As with any other cookie, most families have their favorite spritz recipe, and mine is still the one from that little yellow Mirro booklet - Quick Spritz.

5 comments:

  1. aaahhhh, sorry to say I don't remember the cookie making request but it does sound like me, or your grandmother. You certainly have come a long way in your cookie making skills, you make it look so easy, very proud of you. It's also nice to see Lily picking up the tradition. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to look up spritz cookies and how these presses work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used one of these, but I remember having a lot of fun with those Play Doh presses. Similar, yes? Your cookies look yummy. I just made a batch of sugar cookies shaped like gingerbread men, but they spread out as they baked and now they have really big hips. I'm like the Sir Mix a Lot of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have called on you when my Cookie Advent Calendar Cookbook required a cookie press. Yours look professional and fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the arrows for their help in organizing your notes.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete