Friday, July 27, 2012

Caught off guard

What is this? An ipad on the counter AND an unoccupied computer station? I did not anticipate such good fortune, so now I am caught with nothing to say. I admit that the heat really left me feeling like I had no realistic alternate suggestions to electronic mania. The early days of summer vacation found the son mainly occupying his PS3 lair in the basement, while the girl set up ipad camp on the far L of the couch. However, that Minecraft purchase for the computer caused an unexpected hit to my online time.

To add insult to injury, I am frequently summoned to witness the grandeur of the Eden creations. If you are not familiar with this game, consider yourself lucky and move on. I keep trying to muster up what I think is an appropriate amount of excitement for underwater waterfalls and rock mining, that I have no apparent ability to comprehend. The more questions I ask, in part to give the illusion of fascination, the more confused I get. It was clear to me that today's attempt at conversation was intrusive beyond the requisite ooh-ing and ah-ing that the pistons deserved.

I wondered if I was just not enthralled because I was not the one doing all of the building. However, I am confident that my twenty questions have not yielded enough insight for me to even begin to try. I also know that neither child (the girl got the app for the ipad...my ipad...that had a 9% charge when I got my turn today) wants me to be an active participant beyond cheerleader, as then their playing time would decrease.

Soooo, that's kind of where I have been instead of visiting your blogs...pathetic! Since the temperature was below 90 today, the girl did ride her bike to a friend's house. The boy is hiding back in the basement to avoid my numerous requests that he watch tv with me. (I was looking for an excuse to flop on the couch, and was pretty sure some John Oliver Stand-Up comedy could count as bonding if he'd join me.) 

I did make nineteen jars of jam yesterday. Plus, when I went to store them in the basement earlier, I actually sorted and took inventory of what jars I have for the next go around, be it salsa or pickles (or I might go a little nuts and try zucchini relish...provided my fabulous contacts continue to have extra produce!) This level of organization in such a specific area of my life means that other things must be falling apart!

I wasn't kidding when I said that I was caught off guard by the computer being available! Just thought I'd check in. Maybe one of you has infinite wisdom to share about Minecraft? Or maybe you are at the point in your children's summer vacation that $19.99 for an all consuming and non-violent computer game sounds fantastic!? (Prepare to act be amazed!)

**Note: After more conversation this evening about Minecraft, I must point out an error I made earlier when referring to Eden in Minecraft. Apparently that is an entirely different game...that I also do not understand.**

18 comments:

  1. I don't know about anyone else but I think Minecraft is the kid version of Pinterest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only did my oldest start playing Minecraft this summer (with the younger two soon to follow), he is now the proud owner of a Minecraft shirt. And while on vacation he learned that his cousin was actually able to incorporate Minecraft into some kind of school project. I kid you not. So you may not be getting any more computer time when school starts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what I'd do if I ever found our computer available :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I am lucky to have my own computer! NO ONE is allowed to touch it without my permission... mainly because all our family pictures are there. Yes, they are backed up, but still.

    Ahhhh... Minecraft. Both kids are playing it right now. However, we have limits on screentime and they have to earn more when they run out. So... my dishes are apparently now done, although I haven't checked b/c I am here on my computer reading blogs. My son has been working on building something to show his friend, and yesterday half his village (or house, I don't know) burned down (to which he said it had wasted 30 minutes of his screen time and demanded "free" screen time to fix it - and that is a whole different story) and other times the program just shuts down. This causes problems b/c my son can get very emotional over such things. I guess that is my main dislike with it... but that could be for any game I guess. Yes, at least it is non-violent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Minecraft is actually one game we are not involved with. We are all about Lego Batman and Skylanders right now! I do envy you your fabulous canning strategy. I am ridiculously untalented in the culinary arts. But I am a great eater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strategy? Well, let's see if it works! Full disclosure: the blackberry jam separated (grrr...ugly) and the blueberry might've, but is so dark you can't really tell!

      Delete
  6. My kids aren't into this at all. Should I be worried? Should I not be worried?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are lucky in this house. I have my laptop, my hubby has his and the Ipad we bought for us is now being used by my 2 1/2 year toddler and man she knows what she is doing. Scary but true

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's an iTampon versus iPad world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose it is...fantastic one Mrs. Tuna...I guess I will opt for the one with wings!

      Delete
  9. How long does it take to go through 19 jars of jam? I'm just curious. Does that stuff last a while?

    I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the inventory disappears the week of Christmas! It is the beginning of my holiday stash. :)

      Delete
  10. You made 19 jars of jam in this heat?? Were ou delirious ??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha I can TOTALLY relate to Mindcraft and the other games. My son randomly checks my facial expressions to make sure I am completely fascinated with all of this. I also forget the names and functions of the different games. This made me smile because thank goodness I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, excuse me it is Minecraft, not Mindcraft...all the same difference to me.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha!!!! What a relief as I immediately thought I had the name of the game wrong to top it all off! You are so not alone!

      Delete
  12. Yea I tried to be impressed when the boy was showing me about it, I was pretty impressed that he was able to navigate it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete