Sunday, May 29, 2016

Reflection lag

I was looking at my blog the other day, pondering how I could make it more visually appealing, because I care about your overall experience while visiting here. The first thing that caught my eye was the a-z challenge badge. I felt like I had left my Easter decorations up a crazy long time. That challenge was in April, and here we are bounding our way into June. The fact that I literally just ate a leftover Twix egg does not mean the bunnies should still be on display, so to speak. There are a few thoughts regarding the theme I chose this year that are kicking around in the boombox of my mind, clamoring to get out, so without further delay...

Why so many soundtracks in my possession over the course of the years? Remember back before you could purchase a single song, and instead had to commit to an entire record, cassette, cd? I was a thrifty teen who preferred to buy a collection of music from a variety of artists, as opposed to getting an entire album from a group just to have the one song I really liked. 

Were there any favorites that I just couldn't fit in? (I am not sure why I am interviewing myself.) Yes, one in particular sticks out in my mind. Most of the other odds and ends were taken care of with the quick picks, but I could not find a video clip to use, much to my dismay, and Stand My Me was not included. (Shrek had far too tight of a grip on the letter S.)

Do I ever ponder a soundtrack for the story of my own life? Um, only all of the time! So often songs are chosen for the mood they help set, other times the story the lyrics tell is a sort of companion tale. I am forever caught up in the words. A few weeks ago, I found myself wandering the aisles of Trader Joe's singing far more loudly than what may have been appropriate for my voice in a public place. Despite knowing every word, I was not immediately aware of what U2 selection was coming through the store's sound system. How did Bono know that I was stuck in a moment and couldn't get out of it?! And yes, I did need to get myself together!

Do I actually listen to any of those soundtracks anymore? The cd selection in my car now consists of a decent reflection of where my mind was for the month of April:

  • Shrek 1, 2 and 3
  • 10 Things I Hate About You
  • Robots
  • Now and Then
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Friends
  • Muppets

We went on a short family pilgrimage yesterday, and when the radio lost its signal, I challenged the kids to try not to sing when I put a soundtrack on. I told them they might not even realize they were singing, it was just habit from having these songs playing in the background on so many occasions...to which my husband referred to them as "Mommy's Pavlov dogs". Of course they took this as an actual challenge, and fought every urge they had to belt out the notes. I will get them the next time, when they least expect it.

8 comments:

  1. "Mommy's Pavlov dogs" BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I sing to the songs playing at the grocery store. I try to stop. I'm ashamed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sing in the grocery store too. If Russell is with me I'll even put on a show for him, singing into a pretend microphone. I'm sure it's all on security camera too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sing it loud and proud, sister.........Dance a step or two also. What the heck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim^^, YOU'RE the one driving me crazy at the store!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I ponder the soundtrack of my life, too. Soo many songs for soo many different moods. I love the sing-a-longs. My boys and I love to belt it out while driving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone wrote somewhere that they wished they had a soundtrack to their life so that they could figure out what was going on. Hehehe. Yup, I loved those collection CDs too. I hate it when you buy an album and only love one or two songs on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grosse Pointe Blank is a great soundtrack, btw. I too am a grocery store singer. It sure does keep the aisles clear!

    ReplyDelete