Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Grab a seat (part two)

It appears that the number of folks out there reading my posts is less than half of what it was before the great March comeback. It gives me such a boost of confidence to know that people have found better things to do, with nowhere to go, than hang out here. Maybe this is just a fine example of quality over quantity. In other words...YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Now let's get you off that cliff I left you on last time.

The standards have been set fairly low around here, as you know, so look out that you don't trip over them. I have already already shown how to plan for projects with those dining room chairs, as well as that other time I asserted my DIY prowess. (Wouldn't be a quarantine post without a link to use up some more time entertain you further, right?)

Why don't you pull up a chair?
I really do like that chair. It has good bones as they say, plus I take a bit of pride in the fact that I own a piece of cream colored furniture that has been perched upon and still looks new. Now maybe you're thinking that drapery looks familiar. You are correct because we are at the other end of the room, and that fabric made me so happy that it landed on these windows as well. So now we have a chair I like, next to drapes that I love, but the overall pairing in the scene was bringing me down. 

Let's back up for a moment and talk about the time in the before times, when my mother and I went to the fabric store in search of an answer to my table runner conundrum. Long story short, we found fabric that we loved, she made me a runner for my dining room table that I am not showing you because it would spoil the surprise. Maybe make a mental note though that my ambition for sewing on most days does not even include a rectangle shaped final product. My sense is that it involved both measuring and ironing, and that is where I draw the line. We headed back to the fabric store to buy more fabric, not a set amount mind you, just some more fabric. Mom and I convinced each other that this project was certainly one we could take on. There should be more emphasis on the WE. Mom was using words like iron and template and measure, so I would certainly let her do those things...and then we were sent to our respective homes to hunker down...and the chair and fabric were here with me.

I don't recall exactly how many days went by before the allure of rearranging kitchen cupboards and dusting weren't cutting it for me. Let's do this!
Now let's pause because that beer was not going to be a value added benefit for this project.

The next day...
...I tackled the part I was most comfortable with since it was somewhat similar to doing the dining room chairs,  but with slightly more daunting corners...
...but I persevered!
There! A tuffet! Now just let it sit there, and don't turn it...
...over. I swear it was centered when I started. I thought I took more photos of what came next, in between phone calls and texts to my mom, and f-bombs. On second thought, I didn't really have enough hands for what I had going on, let alone to document the process. So here we are...
...until such time that my mom can measure and iron and plan...
...and help me finish this! 

Oh, now you can see the runner with the dining room fabric roundup!

3 comments:

  1. YOU ARE SO TALENTED. I couldn't even wish to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoke and mirrors...and safety pins! And I have seen you so far more complex and scary skilled things!

      Delete
  2. IT LOOKS AMAZING!! AND I STILL LOVE THOSE CURTAINS! You did a bang-up job. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete