Friday, April 29, 2016

Y is for...

…You've Got Mail

Soundtracks That Mattered (to me) is my theme for the A-Z Challenge this April.

Yes, here we are, just one letter away from the end of another a-z challenge. I thought I would pause and take a moment to explain how some of these posts evolve. This letter provides a perfect example of my often imperfect system. I started with the premise that I would try to stay true to myself in choosing which movie soundtracks to post. 

The letter Y was to be another slight departure from my typical musical stylings with the movie Yentyl. Both of my parents were big Barbra fans, so my appreciation for her and this movie was no surprise. However, when I looked up the soundtrack, aside from Papa Can You Hear Me? some of the songs I expected to see were not there. I quickly realized that part of the reason was that America is from the Jazz Singer. No disrespect intended, Neil and Babs. I am sure that if I took the time to actually listen to the soundtrack again, I probably would have recognized many of the songs. How could I claim that it "mattered" to me though if I was so confused about, and apparently unfamiliar with, the album?

Letter Y, letter Y...You've Got Mail. Did that movie have much of a soundtrack? Time to ask my friend google for some help. Hey now...
...super stuff there! As I pondered the movie some more, to try to get a feel for the tunes in context, I realized I was envisioning Sleepless in Seattle. Ugh. Since this theme has been about the music, and I cannot deny that this mix is awesome, let's go with it. Songs I loved as a kid, like Splish Splash and Rockin Robin*, combined with the amazing Carole King, mixed in with one of my college loves, the Cranberries.

20 comments:

  1. I love that song 'America' by Neil Diamond. But I've never seen any of those movies. I remember when Yentl came out but I didn't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late, and what else is there to do in this bizarro weather?!?!

      Delete
  2. That is a good soundtrack. I don't remember any of those songs in that movie, but it's a really good soundtrack. I have a better recollection of Sleepless in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My folks were huge Barbra fans. I truly wonder if somehow we are related- you have been posting my life soundtrack. Great picks and songs. TGIF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good soundtrack, though I didn't even know it had one! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I never think of soundtrack when I think of that movie. Although I loved the movie. But Sleepless in Seattle immediately brings soundtrack to mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that I don't usually think of that movie...hahahaha

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen Yentl. Or heard of it...interesting about the soundtrack. But You've got mail is a good choice! Good music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've Got Mail is one of my comfort food movies!!
    I love this one.
    And it was when Meg Ryan looked like Meg Ryan.
    Sigh.
    Ahh the good old days.
    I might have to watch it this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a lot of popcorn to cover your weekend!!!

      Delete
  8. I don't think I have left a comment yet but wanted to let you know I have been enjoying the trip down movie soundtrack memory lane! We are obviously of the same generation. A fellow A to Zer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you've been here enjoying yourself! I tried to go to your place, but the google thing baffles me...will try to get there a different way!

      Delete
    2. https://traceyr1984home.wordpress.com/

      Here is the link if that helps. Computer is not my first language. I still have to figure out why so many people get directed to my old blog!

      Delete
  9. J here, of the #atozchallenge Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team.
    Have you enjoyed the challenge? Did you hop to other blogs? The end of the alphabet here! Reflections sign up is May 9-- mark a calendar.
    My blog's giveaway is still going. I'm encouraging everyone to visit more stops.
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com
    Good choice. I wonder how that movie will hold up in another 20 or 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Almost at the end - well done - I am impressed with all the soundtracks you have told us about. I look forward to see what you have come up with for Z too :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm amazed at how many soundtracks you're familiar with. I have to say Grosse Pointe Blank had amazing music, but when I went to buy the CD, the good ones weren't there! Later I discovered they had 2 volumes. Apparently the one I found was "Volume Crap." Anyhoo, I would have had an extremely difficult time doing what you've done here. You've done well, young padawan. ;)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete