Monday, April 11, 2016

I is for...

…Into the Woods

Soundtracks That Mattered (to me) is my theme for the A-Z Challenge this April.

I saw this play with my mother years ago when I was in college, and LOVED it. We were so excited when the movie was coming out, and even more so because my daughter was joining us. 
I was drawn in once again from the opening bars. Some of the songs seemed familiar even twenty years later. Apparently what I had forgotten was how dark things get. How did I forget that?! I don't want to spoil the plot for those of you who are going to rush to watch the movie. Really, that's why I am going to cut this one short. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's 11:00 on a school night. It is your best interests I am considering. 

In honor of my daughter's birthday, I tried to have her pick her favorite song from the soundtrack. She purchased three of them, but cannot choose (or simply refuses to). Therefore, based on the title alone, and as a tribute to living with teenagers...

24 comments:

  1. I saw the film Into The Woods for the first time only a few weeks ago and loved it. As you say, it is very dark - and very clever. That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever have the chance to see the play, give that a whirl!

      Delete
  2. I never even heard of this till recently when one of my friends posted pics of her daughter starring in her high school play of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this last year I think, but have to say I was not enamoured, unfortunately it just didn't grab me. I wanted it to, especially given the cast, but I never got into it. Some of the songs were great though :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The play is a bit more in your face, and really grabs you.The movie must have seemed even more bizarre if you were not familiar with the story.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love Into the Woods! We go hiking pretty regularly and as we set out I often find myself singing "into the woods..!" and then we make up different things to look for in the woods. :) Fun pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Into the Woods is still on my to-watch list. Really have to do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pencil it in for the next time you have a spare afternoon!

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do love the musical. And starting singing it immediately upon seeing its name. Nice selection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've finally found one I know nothing about... nada... zip. Not familiar with the soundtrack or the film. I guess I'll have to check them out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Score...lol! I think you might like it.

      Delete
  8. I bet it was hard to find an I post.
    I have never seen this one.
    So I can't really give a good commment and of course, this one isn't buried at the bottom.
    OF COURSE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop some popcorn and fluff the couch cushions!

      Delete
  9. I've never seen the play, but I imagine the soundtrack is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the music would have much appeal without seeing the performance.

      Delete
  10. I never saw this, but I have heard good things about it. ~Meg Writer‘s Crossings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had the opportunity to choose, go with the play!

      Delete
  11. I think this was on Netflix for a while and I never got around to watching it. My loss!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're pretty busy with your panty, oops pantry projects!

      Delete
  12. I saw it live a long time ago and was impressed. Thus, I was excited for the movie and while it was good it did not transport me. I thought Emily Blunt and James Cordon were excellent. Meryl Streep annoyed me. But no matter what - the music is very good

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard about the play and movie, but I haven't seen either.
    Not sure why now that I think of it.
    Hmmm.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete