Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for...

…Now and Then

Soundtracks That Mattered (to me) is my theme for the A-Z Challenge this April.


A few weeks ago I was riding around in the car with my kids, listening to the "oldies" station. My son was quietly singing along to a song I would not necessarily consider to be in the "every teenager knows that one" category. Just as I was about to ask him where he knew the tune from, I realized it was on this soundtrack that I used to play so often when they were little.
My knee jerk reaction, of course, was to be overcome by the passage of time. Very quickly though I was filled with happiness at the thought that this little piece of something we shared was still there, stuck in the corner of his mind. A little background music softly playing while our story unfolded and children grew...part of the soundtrack. 

I have this CD back in my car now and have listened to it three times in the past two days. Of course these songs fill me with nostalgia for my own childhood as well. I loved the stories they told, and that beat that made you need to move, dance and sing. You get three because it is the weekend, so you have more time to spare, and absolutely not because I cannot decide on one!





17 comments:

  1. This might be the best story to go along with one of these posts. I, too, felt my heart swell a bit reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What soundtrack is it? Can't be from a super old movie if there's a Susanna Hoffs song on it. Love all the other songs though....reminds me of growing up in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the soundtrack to the movie called Now and Then

      Delete
  3. I remember this movie. I don't really remember the soundtrack, but it has some great songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might want to watch the movie again. It's been 20 years...YIKES!

      Delete
  4. My hubby has a CD by Jan and Dean in his 66 GTO

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice when we find the unexpected ways we have influenced our children. A very nice post.
    @Ma_holloway from
    If I Only Had A Time Machine

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't go wrong with the Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder on a soundtrack. such great tunes...and the Monkees! Loved Davy Jones

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I can imagine how you felt. When my son sings an oldie along with me I too feel proud that he hasn't discounted everything. I tried to instill tradition with Christmas Story, but failed miserably. Both boys hate it! I still watch it every year, alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! How can they resist the fragile?!?!?!

      Delete
  8. This is a great movie.
    Then Rosie ODonnell shows up.
    I KID, I KID.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know this movie, but I LOVE the Monkees!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete