Friday, April 15, 2016

M is for...

…Mary Poppins

Soundtracks That Mattered (to me) is my theme for the A-Z Challenge this April.

Remember our movie viewing habits when we were kids? We could go to the movie theater, or hold out hope that the Wonderful World of Disney was going to show something exciting (once a week). Luckily there were movie soundtracks to help fill the time while we could only daydream of things so futuristic and supercalifragilistic-expialidocious as vhs, let alone dvd, options. !
I had a black record player that folded up on itself like a suitcase that I could carry around. I would clear the small table in my bedroom and set up my music station, select the vinyl du jour and sing along. I remember standing on a chair, gazing out at the attentive stuffed animal crowd, but am not sure if it was for better stage presence, or simply because there was no floor space available due to my poor housekeeping skills. Certainly Mary Poppins would arrive, via umbrella obviously, at any moment to help me deal with my mess, and when she did...

22 comments:

  1. Another of my favorites! I watched this movie on cable last Christmas, and sang along with all the songs. My significant other was not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could the S.O. not be impressed?!?! (Something tells me these songs wouldn't be on your soundtrack list for your theme? heeheehee)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen Mary Poppins in forever. I'll have to watch it with my son very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if my kids have ever seen it...they are teenagers so that ship may have sailed, unless I lure them in with the tunes - and my singing...hahahaha

      Delete
  3. ♫ Let's go fly a kite, up to the highest height. Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring...♪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up through the atmosphere, up where the air is clear...

      Delete
  4. My best friend had the record of supercalifragilistic-expialidocious when we were kids - I loved to hear her play it. Soph (my twin) and I, only had 'I'm glad that I'm Bugs Bunny' and 'I tawt I taw a puddy tat' which were not in the same league ;)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barber of Seville was awesome and all, but a little Mary Poppins was necessary too! ;)

      Delete
  5. I still love a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. Loved Julie Andrews, loved this movie.
    Today's a good day to go fly a kite! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept thinking of how yummy St Joseph's baby aspirin were! No sugar needed there...hahaha!

      Delete
  6. You always make me smile! :) I'm with you on this one. I loved bringing out my fisher price record player and various records to sing alone. In fact, I still have that fisher price record player and a stack of records...maybe i should put one on and sing a little louder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only ever saw this movie once, in the 90s. I know I had the record album as a child though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies, although I haven't seen it in awhile. It has a lot of catchy songs in it. ~Meg Writer‘s Crossings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "feed the birds" song kind of slowed things down, but they picked up again!

      Delete
  9. The music from Mary Poppins... awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this movie! And I loved sharing it with my kids. Can't wait to share it with my grandchildren!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you will adopt a Mary Poppins hairdo and fashion style! Don't forget your umbrella! ;)

      Delete