Thursday, May 3, 2012

Always a reason

Why am I blogging when I don't have anything in particular to say? Well, I guess it is to stop me from what I was doing, which was hiding in the corner of the kitchen, my back to the family, hoovering the one chocolate chip cookie I bought at the store today. Um, maybe I also wandered into the dining room at some point to slug milk right out of the jug. Yes, yes I did. I think it was my private way of marking my kitchen territory. It was no less ridiculous than how our dog kicks his legs in the grass a bit after he pees, to let us know this is his yard. (So why can't he deal with some of the maintenance?) 

The reason I was acting out? I had recently returned from soccer practice with the girl child to some substandard boxed macaroni and cheese. The hubs had once again done his part to keep some secret Heart Association vow, and left the butter out of the mix. I always tell him to just use less than called for, but no, completely deleted. Whatever. I was wandering around the kitchen a little bit later, and found the mac and cheese pan "soaking" on the stove. Maybe some butter would've helped it not stick to the pan so much? I realized this was quite the trend in dinner clean up this week. The husband issued an unspoken blanket rule that all pans should soak, until I walk by to deal with them. Argh! 

The reason I was pacing to and fro, was to avoid any direct eye contact with the hubs...platelet donor du jour. You see, any glimpse in his general direction seemed to be taken as an invitation for him to tell me a little more about his Red Cross experience. Oh Bloody hell! When he told me it took three tries, I thought I gave the appropriate look of empathy, accompanied by a sensitive request that he spare me any further specific details. Something about the way I gripped the back of the chair I was standing next to, did not give away my general sense of wooziness. More details were shared, with the only interruption being my request that it stop. I am going to proceed under the assumption that you do not want to hear any of the finer points that I heard. I'm sensitive like that...you're welcome. However, if you are interested in the ins (three to be exact) and outs of it all, please contact my husband, as he is very eager to tell his tale. I'll be in the kitchen for one reason or another. 

**Note: We are all sitting on the couch watching last night's American Idol, as I type this. The singing is fantastic, but has been overshadowed a few times by the sound of bandages dramatically being ripped off of someone's arm...so many bandages. Please.

**Another note: I would link to other platelet donation days, but I can't find them. Good thing I only bought one cookie!

22 comments:

  1. I would act out too if someone left the butter out of the mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I refuse to eat ant sub standard Mac and cheese. Messing with an original classic?? Clearly he is woozy and not thinking clearly from his "donation". I'm sure he tells it fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound just like me and I am happy to have stumbled on your blog. I'm your newest follower! And besides being a guilty of soaking person, I'm woozy at any mention of blood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy the ride. There is absolutely a double standard, in that it is OK for ME to deem something soakable!

      Delete
  4. No buttet in the mac? That there is a crime against humanity!

    My husband faints at the sight of needles, so I never have to listen to icky stories from him. My mother-in-law, on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I had a day like this last week. It's like you want to start screaming, "Could you please just do one frickin' thing that doesn't make me want to kill you?"

    Incidentally, I love that you said "bloody hell" after talking about the platelets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee hee...I planted that there hoping somebody would like it!

      Delete
  6. I swear husbands go to a class about dropping dishes in the sink to "soak."

    I like the blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new look...Sometimes husbands can drive you insane. I love the way you said you were the corner hovering over the cookie.....mine...mine....all mine

    ReplyDelete
  8. my husband does the platelet donation thing, too. They are such babies :)
    new follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Chicka...I am over here getting caught-up with all of your randomlicious genius. You really are a good writer, you know....seriously. So I must ask if you hoarded the cookie out of rebellion over the lack of butter in the Mac 'n Cheese? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry.

    Passed out for a minute.

    Your husband mmmmmmakes....ddddddinner????

    Some girls have all the luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had Kraft Mac & cheese in ages. Now I'm craving some....but I'll be sure to remember the butter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang, girl. You deserved that cookie. You should have gotten a dozen. And eaten them in full view. Licking your fingers after each one.

    What? No butter??? I cannot imagine. Pasta with cheese juice.

    I have a guy friend who always makes sure to tell me his latest good deed. Volunteering at the Mission, beach clean up, platelets, you name it. Gah. What does he want, a cookie? Nope. I'm giving my cookie to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps my good deed for tomorrow? Making some cookies!

      Cheese juice...hee hee hee!

      Delete
  13. "marking my kitchen territory.." classic one liner. Love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't work, they kept trompng through like th place was theirs!

      Delete
  14. Ha! I mark my kitchen territory every day! Ugh. Needles. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have your clay kitchen if you need to really get away, no?

      Delete