Monday, April 15, 2013

M is for...


Midnight...Yaz, 1982.

Angsty 80's songs, from the soundtrack of my life, is my theme for the A-Z challenge this year.


I would be trying to do this eighties list with Sir Elton, Billy, and Barry if I had been left to my own devices back in the day. That is not entirely true, as I did date a drummer for awhile in high school, and while the Violent Femmes were intriguing (sorry Add it Up and Blister in the Sun, angsty as you are, but I had another plan), I just couldn't get my Crue or heavy duty punk on. By the time I graduated I was pretty devoted to my Hall & Oates album. Luckily, one of the girls who lived across the hall from me freshman year of college had both Yaz albums, so that is where this introduction came from.

We sang so loudly, which is sort of a shame since we overshadowed the hauntingly beautiful voice that was coming from the boom box. We were trying to figure out these new freedoms of college life and meeting new people, while trying to retain our grip on those we had just parted ways with. Heartbreaking, no?
Darling you know it looks bad
Just lost the best thing that I ever had
Still I don't know why I did him wrong
It's too late now he's gone...
Sometimes it didn't matter if the lyrics were a perfect fit to the situation, as long as they were sprinkled with enough anguish. As long as we could sing our hearts out with an artist who seemed to mirror some of the pain our eighteen year old souls were feeling...long distance, cheating, loneliness. Oh the drama of it all.
Well all of this rain can wash away my tears
But nothing can replace all of those wasted years
In all of this I tell you I have learned
Playing with fire gets you burned
And I'm still burning


12 comments:

  1. I've not heard this song before but I can identify with the loud singing! I still drown out beautiful lyrics be screeching away. It's what I like to do and I do believe it's good for the spirits inside!

    Rosalind Adam is Writing in the Rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well . . . it's no John Waite, but I get where you're coming from. ;) There are just certain bands and genres you didn't even know existed until your horizons are broadened by college experiences and the people you meet. My discoveries were Blues Traveler, Fish & Rusted Root. But then again, I'm a toddler. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, now...I had only been out of college for a couple of years before I was immersed in Phish, Blues Traveler and Rusted Root! You may be the toddler, but I am the one with the temper tantrums!

      Delete
  3. Haven't heard of these guys either. It's interesting, (I actually like the music, not so much the vocals) but I'm afraid I won't be going out to buy their album. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I remember Yaz....they sang "Don't Go" and now they're being sued over their birth control pills, or something.... ;P

    I loved the Violent Femmes....I saw them play in Tuscaloosa....LOVE them *still*

    I love how you totally dissected the lyrics....I was shallow....I only cared if it had a beat I could dance to on top of a cooler!

    :D

    I'm really enjoying these posts, Andrea....they are too dang fun!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaz was awesome, and that voice is still one of the better ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, you did stump me. Oh, college days. Separated from The Engineer, no email, no cell phones, just pay phones in the halls of the dorms...sigh. Long distance love is full of angst...

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why am I starting to think that a spin-off music blog might be in order?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your writing conjures up such vivid imagery of days gone by. And I'm with Marianne. A spin off music blog, would be fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we've all been there- belting lyrics louder than the voice coming out of the speakers...and so full of angst. Aah the days! I haven't ever heard this one before. :)Great 80s song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh. I'm not sure I know this song. I find that odd. I'm going to check it out now.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete