Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for...


Good-bye to you...Scandal, 1982.

Angsty 80's songs, from the soundtrack of my life, is my theme for the A-Z challenge this year.


Oh, I do remember the good times baby now, and the bad times too. Ouch, some of those still smart. I have to admit that I was not much of a breaker-upper. Hmmm, I thought that was somehow going to sound better than saying I was a teenage idiot who made a series of poor choices, and stuck with them until getting dumped myself...ah, good times. I lacked the spunk and self confidence that gave Patty Smyth the ability to admit when the days were dull and the nights were long. Let's face it, most young teen romances were rather dull, aside from the crying...oops, just me? (Especially since we were tethered to wall phones and actually had to stop communications when our land line rights were restricted.)

Anyhow, it certainly was a long departure for Patty, with all of the strain and pain on her heart...and her love...and her heart. All of that straining could not have been comfortable...at all. Guess it is better to say...Good-bye to you!

16 comments:

  1. I sang this song many, many times. Even though I didn't really have a boyfriend at the time...it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely not just you.

    I didn't recognize the name of the song, but when I looked up the video, the song was familiar. Did you see the video? Pretty low budge. But then again, for that year, it might've been good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that song back in the day....now I think I need to go put it on my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dare confess some of the 80s are a bit foggy! I was strapped to my skis and boys were left in my wake as I shushed down the mountain...I left the "getting my heart broken" for my forties! Ah...the Scandal of it all!


    Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool song ... and the '80s ... of fun times, but I sure am glad the era of big hair and spandex is over. :)
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had forgotten all about this song... Don't much miss the 80's! :)
    Happy G day!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was some great music that came out of the '80's. What fun! :) (Also- thanks for the link today- love Shane Koycza's spoken-word poem- so powerful!) See you tomorrow for "H"! Looking forward to more '80's songs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have I mentioned yet how awesome your A-Z theme is? Well, it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! I can picture the music video right now. VH1 after school every day. Yeah, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, I always look forward to seeing what gems you're going to come up with and this is no exception. You really were a rocking teen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this song. I was always the breaker-upper. But not until I had a candidate waiting in the wings. I think it takes three months to get to know someone when you're in high school, because that's how long ALL my relationships lasted at that age. And being the flirt that I am, I didn't break up until I knew there was someone waiting. Didn't want to be boyfriendless. Sigh. Oh the ridiculousness of youth...

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pick! I always wanted the guy who was unavailable. Must have been a self-defeating thing then and I just didn't know it.

    I'm enjoying this musical trip down memory lane!
    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comments over at my place

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nope, never heard it.
    And by the way, I was TEN!

    And I don't remember breaking up with anyone. Not answering the phone in my 20s totally doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great song. Although my favorite Patty Smyth song of all time has to be Warrior. Not as angsty though I guess, huh? I loved that song SO HARD back in the 80's. It's probably one of the first songs I remember really LOVING.

    ReplyDelete