Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Decisions

It started last night with a general sense of confusion regarding today's letter. I knew what I had picked out for my happy picture, and while it does start with the letter d, I was dissatisfied at the thought of using that word here as well. Then the dog looked at me longingly...uh, no Foz (and you might not be F either, so go back to sleep).

This morning the downward spiral started. Doughnuts? I thought a lot about doughnuts...mmm, doughnuts. I have a delightful daughter and a dandy dad, but then this whole thing would turn into some sort of debacle where I'd have to account for everyone. Drama. Certain people who live here have already looked at the calendar to see which days the first letters of their names fall on (see message to Foz). Daydreaming? (See doughnuts.) I asked the girls if we should write about DD's, and they did not seem interested. Dammit, how was I going to decide? Oh, well there's something...Decisions.

I am not a champion decision maker. It is not the result of making poor ones, but the discomfort of making one at all sometimes. Often people will say "Do what you want". I don't know if it is a mom thing, or a me thing, but I find it nearly impossible to completely separate out what I might like to do, from that which is good for the rest of the herd. I guess I could try explaining the pile of dirty clothes, the dog crossing his legs, and no food on the table as being a direct result of me choosing a day in bed with a book. Sometimes I can't make a decent lunch decision because I am too busy accounting for what dinner will be.

I am not sure if I am delighted with this decision to draft up a ditty about decisions, but it's just about done, and it really is such a thing for me.

11 comments:

  1. I have to agree that I'm not much of a decision maker; I don't like to decide. :) So many D's... I wish I could have some doughnuts... yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never met a doughnut I didn't like. I have my faces, but nev turn down even a maple glazed is worth a bite or two!

      Delete
  2. I am such a trigger finger that I make these crazy snap decisions then I'm like, "CRAP! WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!" Sigh...decisions...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, you were me with this letter too, I had an idea to use "dictators" talking about my work (medical transcription), had it all written but I didn't like it. All the thoughts you had went through my head too, donuts, writing something about decisions, etc. I went with "delight", put it all together this morning at 4:30 a.m. before the gym, but I definitely liked it better than anything else.

    As far as decisions, I can make them pretty quickly if it just impacts me; if more are involved it takes a bit more time :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always find a way to make the decision reach beyond just me.

      Delete
  4. I'm rubbish at making decisions too, I think to much about everyone else and the impact of my decision!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow you ambled through the post in a very ammusing way.

    ReplyDelete