Thursday, August 9, 2012

52 Weeks of Happiness - Week 22

It's pickle time!
I am so glad there is a farm stand nearby that I can support when the harvest starts rolling in. The women are always so helpful and patient as I fumble trying to decide what I want to buy, and how much of it. They have never once suggested that it might be a good idea to write down what I use each year. We all know it's true. It makes me happy to stop by Williams Farm in Cicero.
Kirby or pickling cucmbers
I am happy to be trying a different variety of cucumber for the bread and butter pickles this year. (That is easy to say now, but I am sure there will be a few moments of panic.) Hopefully we all learned a lesson from last year's debacle...the one in which someone turned down the temperature in the refrigerator in the garage...where the cucumbers were stored...so many frozen cucumbers!

Canning makes me happy because the results are yummy. It also makes me happy because it satisfies that incessant need I have to do something productive every day. I can point to all of the jars on the counter and say "THAT is what I did today".

Visit Leigh to see what is making other people happy!

15 comments:

  1. I think that is an awesome attitude - - do something productive every day! What else do you do besides can??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday was my productive day, so today I'm taking the day off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Andrea, you do one more thing than I do! My mother-in-law tried to teach me to can (several times) but she finally gave up, knowing it was a lost cause :( I get up in the morning . . . that's productive, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I love cucumbers...AND pickles! AND I was productive today, too! Yay! See, now I'm happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!! I hope something makes you happy tomorrow too!

      Delete
  5. Andrea,

    I am impressed by your industriousness. Yum! We have a whole garden full of cucumbers, I need to tell The Husband to pickle them.

    best,
    MOV
    (ps-- I am a bad gardener. But a very good chocolate eater...... I guess I could point to the empty chocolate wrappers and say, "THAT is what I did today." Not really the same level of satisfaction though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a container of tapioca pudding I have been working on since lunch time...slow and steady progress=very satisfying! Maybe you could make something with your wrappers, then you'd have to eat more candy!

      Delete
  6. MORE canning? Who are you? Ma Ingalls?

    Yes, I'm still jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pa is running the goods over to Olesons' in the morning. I can't be bothered with that snot Nellie!

      Delete
  7. Oh man, you are amazing! My mama used to make bread and butter pickles. I want some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't overestimate me, I just have a knack for following directions! :)

      Delete
  8. Even with the frozen cucumber debacle, I'm quite impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, bread and butter pickles - my favorite. Try some in a tuna sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you tried bread and butter pickles with peanutbutter. My childhood favorite and I may or may not still eat them. They are the best with whole wheat homemade bread. Oh my, now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go girl.....And btw I LOVE your new photo and is that a new hair style?

    ReplyDelete